What Makes You A Good Coach?
What should a coach care about most: winning, teaching, or giving everyone a chance to play? KidsHealth.org asked their readers this question, and hundreds replied. The results are instructive.
What They Value
Survey respondents said they respond best to:
- Coaches who understand and motivate their players
- Coaches who are tough but fair
- Coaches who teach life skills along with sports skills
- Coaches who make it a team effort
- Coaches who try to make practice varied and fun.
Importantly, athletes are able to recognize that some parts of practice are necessary and not much fun. They just want the coach to do their best to keep things interesting whenever possible.
What Turns Them Off
Survey respondents said they are turned off by:
- Coaches who focus on only a few players
- Coaches who yell or put players down
- Coaches who can’t teach or don’t give it their all.
The full KidsHealth.org article has more detail and some insightful quotes from survey respondents.
Editor’s Note: Special thanks to Steve Horan of PositiveSports.net for use of the above article.
Fatal error: Call to undefined function wp_related_posts() in /nfs/c03/h06/mnt/57119/domains/phoenixcoyotescare.com/html/wp-content/themes/PhoenixCoyotesCare/single.php on line 32